2 days down 175 to go!! As you’ve likely heard, it was an eventful and exciting first few days of school! I hope that your kids had a memorable kick off to the 18-19 school year and are rested and ready for the first full week of school. I enjoyed the weekend in St. Louis celebrating my Mom’s birthday and visiting with family and friends.
This year, the staff at Lincoln is working to intentionally embed growth mindset and mindfulness into daily class meetings, instruction and our school culture. Each week of the school year, we will have a “Quote of the Week” that will help to bring more consistent and school wide intention to support this important work. I encourage your family to also discuss these quotes and the importance of being mindful and embracing a growth mindset. Each week, I’ll share the upcoming week’s quote in the Lincoln Log. Thanks for your support in fostering this important work.
As you are aware, student safety is always our top priority at Lincoln School. This week, we will partner with the River Forest Police and River Forest Fire Departments for our Fall Safety Week. In collaboration with RFPD and RFFD, we will practice our Fire Drill, Severe Weather Drill, Lockdown Drill and Earthquake Drills. Additionally, Tuesday and Wednesday after school, our PTO will host Bike Safety for 2nd graders as well as any 3rd or 4th graders who are new to Lincoln this year and are interested in riding their bike to school.
I look forward to celebrating with our August Birthdays on Thursday for the August Principal Birthday Lunch. Please be sure to send your child with a “nut free” lunch on Thursday if they are celebrating an August birthday.
Finally, I hope your family is looking forward to our annual Back to School Picnic on Thursday, August 30 at 5:30pm. This year’s event promises to be our best yet including face painting, temporary tattoos, an inflatable obstacle course, music, and of course the opportunity to see me in the dunk tank! The long range forecast looks to be much warmer than last year.
As always, please never hesitate to reach out if there is anything I can do to support your kids or family. Thanks for your support of our Fine Fine School! Have a great week. CG
Quote of the Week: “Be so happy that when others look at you, they become happy too!”
Monday, August 27:
- Severe Weather Drill
- First PTO Meeting of the year – 8:45am, multipurpose room. All are welcome.
- HERO Boys – 3:10-4:15pm, gym
Tuesday, August 28:
- Fire Drill
- 2nd Grade Bike Safety – 3:10-4:30pm, Lincoln Auditorium
Wednesday, August 29:
- Lockdown Drill
- 2nd Grade Bike Safety – 3:10-4:30pm, Lincoln Auditorium
Thursday, August 30:
- August Principal Birthday Lunch: 1st-4th Grade
- Back to School Picnic – 5:30pm, Franklin Playground
Friday, August 31:
- Free Pizza Fun Lunch for All
*Monday, September 3 – LABOR DAY, NO SCHOOL*
Deadline for Fall Fun Lunch (w/o late fee) is MIDNIGHT TONIGHT!
The PTO serves 4 different rotating meals on Fridays (or the occasional Thursday if there is no school on Friday). Order all 4, or just the menus you want. See all menu choices and prices on the Lincoln PTO webstore. Fun Lunch in the PTO’s biggest fundraiser – give yourself a break from packing lunches once a week!
The initial deadline to order Fall Fun Lunch is Sunday 8/26. Orders places after 8/26 will be charged a late fee and no orders will be accepted after Monday 9/3. All orders must be placed on the Lincoln PTO webstore.
Other activities to sign up for:
- PTO Activity Fee – The Lincoln PTO thrives on adding value in support of our children’s education and the teachers and staff who are their guides through this journey. Our success is contingent upon your contribution. Please help support our efforts with this $25 donation, available on the PTO Web Store. Your funds help provide classroom supplies and technology, support student clubs, field trips and special family events, and so much more.
- 2nd Grade Harmonica – The PTO sponsors harmonica lessons for all second grade students during the school day. We pay for the teacher and ask parents to pay for the harmonica. Please add this $12 fee to your shopping basket on the PTO Web Store.
- 2nd Grade Bike Safety – Fall is the time to brush up on bike safety for 2nd graders as well as any child new to Lincoln! This is an informative and fun after school event. Officer Glenn Czernik of the River Forest Police Department conducts a fun, informative and hands-on-the-handlebars bike safety workshop. Second graders are strongly encouraged to complete the workshop and become regular bike riders for the remainder of their Lincoln Eagle days. Classes will be offered after school on the playground on August 28 and 29. Sign up for one session on the Webstore.
- 4th Grade Activities Fee – The PTO sponsors and organizes a breakfast and T-shirt for 4th graders. This $25 fee covers the costs. Please add this fee to your shopping basket on the PTO Web Store.
- 4th Grade Heartworks Service Club – Heartworks is a community service group for 4th graders that will engage in activities designed to 1) heighten awareness of the needs of others in the Lincoln community, as well as the needs of those around the world; 2) create an environment where service becomes a natural part of students’ everyday lives; and 3) provide opportunities for leadership. Generally, Heartworks will meet once per month including a few after school outside field trips.
- 4th Grade Lunchtime Leaders Program – Lunchtime Leaders assist students during the 1st and 2nd grade lunch period. They walk around the cafeteria assisting students in opening milk, supplying various items, answering questions and supporting arrival and dismissal. Depending on student interest level, students will average two lunch periods per month. A monthly calendar is created and distributed to 4th grade Lunchtime Leaders. On their assigned day, Lunchtime Leaders are also allowed to sit at the Lunchtime Leader table and invite any friend to join them.
Lincoln School’s Foreign Language Introductory Program (FLIP)
Registration for Lincoln School’s Foreign Language Introductory Program (FLIP) is available on the Webstore!. FLIP instruction begins the week of September 10. Classes run for 28 weeks and tuition is $175. Questions? Please email email@example.com.
The schedule for 2018-19 is as follows:
First PTO Meeting – Monday, August 27 at 8:45am!
Join us in the multi-purpose room – all are welcome!
Back to School Picnic – Thursday, 8/30 at 5:30pm!
Join us for the Back to School Picnic on Thursday, 8/30 from 5:30 to 7:00 pm on the Franklin Playground! Meet families in your class and welcome new Lincoln families. Bring a blanket and a picnic dinner.
There will be a bounce house obstacle course, dunk tank, temporary tattoos, and face painting!
All activity tickets are $1 – proceeds go to the PTO!
Hero Boys – register now!
HERO Boys is a youth development and engagement program for boys in 3rd – 5th grades. Using running as a base activity, HERO Boys inspires boys to discover the character and courage that resides inside each one of them to be brave, stand for that which is right, and use their talents and strengths to lead and set the positive example amongst their peers. The school-based program is 8 weeks long and culminates with the HERO Boys 5K including boys from all schools participating in the program.
Program will run on Mondays from 3:15-4:15pm. The cost is $75. Please email Anne Gall if you’d like to participate, firstname.lastname@example.org. A maximum of 20 students will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Once we have all the participants, you will be sent a registration form to complete and pay the fee.
The Library Lowdown – author visit and more!
Volunteer in the library!
Do you love books? Do you love to organize? If yes, please consider becoming a Lincoln Library volunteer. Over 25,000 books were checked out last year. Of course, what goes out, must come back! Volunteers are vital to the library. They help to get the books back on the shelves quickly so they can be checked out by new students.
The timing is flexible – either at beginning of the day (walk your kids to school and stay for a bit) or at the end of the day (come early and get a good parking spot). Most volunteers come in weekly – but we are very flexible with schedules! If you’d like more information, please email Ms. Brauweiler directly – she’d love to talk with you!
Author Visit – Friday, September 14!
We are excited to announce we have an author visiting Lincoln School on Friday, September 14th. Award-winning author, illustrator and international speaker/teacher Linda Ragsdale will be spending the day with our students and sharing how the powerful skills of View, Voice and Choice can lead people through the more challenging parts of their lives with a peaceful and productive outcome. Her work in peace education has led her around the world, empowering over 37,000 students to see and speak with a new voice, and an expanded capability of choice.
An order form for her books will be available shortly. Due to the timing, there will be a very short turnaround time for ordering so please watch for the form in your child’s backpack or Lincoln email.
For additional information about Ms. Ragsdale: http://thepeacedragon.com If you have any questions regarding the visit or her books, please contact Mrs. Brauweiler directly.
Summer Reading Pictures
Although school has started, you can still send in photos of your child reading. Please turn in by Friday, August 31st.
We Need Your Help!
There are many different ways to volunteer at Lincoln! You can sign up for one time volunteer slots at events like the pancake breakfast or for recurring volunteer slots like fun lunch. Some volunteer opportunities can be done at home while others take place at school or in the classroom.
The sign up genius page for 2018-2019 Volunteer registration is open and can be accessed from the PTO website or the Webstore. Even if you can only commit to an hour a month, your help will be very appreciated. We thank you in advance!